Matthew L. Dameron, Principal Attorney
Matt joined Williams Dirks Dameron as an equity partner in 2014. Matt’s practice focuses on representing individuals, classes and businesses in litigation. Matt’s work includes class actions, individual cases, and commercial disputes.
Matt earned his law and undergraduate degrees from the University of Missouri. In law school, he served as Editor in Chief of the Journal of Dispute Resolution.
Matt previously clerked for the Honorable Nanette K. Laughrey, United States District Judge for the Western District of Missouri. Before law school, Matt served as the Campaign Coordinator for Congressman Ike Skelton. He is a native of Sedalia, Missouri.
Matt is currently handling the following matters:
- An antitrust matter on behalf of the Mississippi Attorney General’s Office concerning alleged anticompetitive conduct by manufacturers of automotive component parts.
- A proposed class of current and former Missouri state court judges. In Missouri, the compensation for state court judges is indexed to the compensation for federal judges. The case alleges that Missouri judges were underpaid because federal judges also were underpaid during the time period. Matt argued the case before the Missouri Supreme Court in December 2015.
- A case against a national bank alleging negligence and other misconduct after the bank allegedly failed to recognize several red flags concerning a depositor’s account.
- A proposed class on behalf of citizens in St. Louis County who paid unlawful water ISRS fees.
- A proposed class of Missourians who were victims of a data breach against their health insurer.
- A proposed class on behalf of individuals whose alcohol and drug treatment health records were wrongfully disclosed.
- A proposed class of Nissan owners who experienced floorboard rust in their vehicles due to the vehicle’s defective design.
- A case on behalf of investors in a defunct corporation against the corporation’s board and officers alleging fraud and misrepresentation.
- Two proposed classes on behalf of Missouri consumers who paid unlawful fees for their medical health records.
- A wage and hour matter on behalf of insurance underwriters.
In addition to his litigation work, Matt is counsel for an investment management company with over $100 million in assets under management. Matt advises the company on securities-related litigation and provides securities litigation monitoring services for the company’s portfolio.
Aside from his work for Williams Dirks Dameron, Matt previously has been appointed to serve as a Special Prosecutor for the Prosecuting Attorney’s office in Jackson County, Missouri.
PREVIOUS LITIGATION EXPERIENCE
Matt previously was a partner at Stueve Siegel Hanson LLP in Kansas City. During his time there, Matt worked on the lead counsel team for several class and MDL cases, including matters concerning securities litigation, wage and hour enforcement, and consumer protection cases. Matt also handled commercial litigation matters on behalf of individual clients.
Matt also previously worked as an associate at then-Blackwell Sanders Peper Martin LLP (now Husch Blackwell). At Blackwell, Matt’s practice focused on labor and employment matters, education law, and commercial litigation.
PUBLIC SECTOR EXPERIENCE
From 2009 to 2012, Matt served as Chief of Staff for Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster. In his capacity as Chief of Staff, Matt served on the Executive Team that managed significant litigation in the Missouri Attorney General’s Office. Matt also engaged with other state attorneys general in multi-state investigations, and coordinated efforts with other state and federal authorities including the Department of Justice and the SEC.
In addition to his legal work, Matt served as General Koster’s voting designee on the Missouri Housing Development Commission, and he staffed General Koster in his capacity as a Co-Chair of the Democratic Attorneys General Associations (DAGA). Matt also had oversight responsibility for the office’s $23 million budget, the office’s legislative affairs and communications activities, and the office’s personnel policies and decisions.
Matt is active in the legal community in several respects. Matt serves on the governing boards for the following legal organizations:
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Foundation;
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri, including service on the Executive Director Search Committee;
- Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys; and
- Federal Court Advocates Section for the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association.
Previously Matt served on the Civil Practice Committee for the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri, and he currently serves on the Court’s ESI Committee.
Matt’s service is not limited to the legal profession. In the not for profit sector, Matt serves on the Executive Committee for The American Legion Boys State of Missouri, and is the current Director of Missouri Boys State. Matt also serves on the Board of Directors for the Kansas City Chapter of the Mizzou Alumni Association and the Mizzou Legislative Network.
Matt also serves on governmental boards and commissions by appointment. In May 2013, Mayor Sly James appointed Matt to serve as co-chair of Kansas City’s Charter Review Committee. The panel was comprised of 13 residents, which is made up of at least two residents from each council district. The committee reviews the city charter and recommends changes to the Mayor and city council.
In October 2012, Missouri Governor Jay Nixon appointed Matt to serve on the Missouri Development Finance Board. The Missouri Development Finance Board administers a range of financing programs for Missouri businesses, local governments and state agencies; issues taxable or tax-exempt industrial revenue bonds or notes; and provides market rate or low-interest loans and grants to political subdivisions to fund public infrastructure improvements. The Missouri Senate confirmed Matt’s appointment in February 2013.
In 2016, Governor Nixon re-appointed Matt to serve on the Missouri Development Board for a second term; the Missouri Senate confirmed Matt’s re-appointment in May 2016. Matt’s second term ends in 2019.
In June 2016, Matt was elected to serve on the Executive Committee for the Missouri Development Finance Board, and he currently serves as the Secretary. Additionally, he is Chair of the Personnel Committee.
Matt also serves as Treasurer of the Progress KC Political Action Committee.
HONORS AND AWARDS
In 2012, the University of Missouri School of Law named Matt its Distinguished Recent Graduate, and Missouri Lawyers Weekly identified him as an “Up and Coming Lawyer” in 2011.
In 2016, Ingram’s magazine named Matt one if its 40 Under Forty honorees.
Additionally, he has been recognized as a Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyer, and Best of the Bar by the Kansas City Business Journal.
Matt is admitted to practice in the following courts:
- Supreme Court of the United States
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
For more details, contact our Kansas City office by calling (816) 876-2600.
Proudly serving the Kansas City community.